Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
The South Central Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan highlights existing and proposed Bike and Pedestrian facilities in the Houma-Thibodaux urbanized area. It also includes regional projects from St. Charles, St. James, and St. John the Baptist parishes as well.
Bicycle and Pedestrian Groups
The following groups represent both citizen stakeholders who participated in the plan development process, or state and national organizations devoted to promoting Bicycle and Pedestrain awareness and enhancement.
Bicycle and Pedestrian Groups:
Education and Outreach Material, Other Documents and Resources
The MPO has compiled the following education and outreach materials. These materials consist of a variety of tolls from academic research to course textbooks to resource toolboxes. This area will be updated as other useful material is found.
Planning Documents and Policies:
- Louisiana Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- Houma-Thibodaux Metropolitan Transportation Plan
- Louisiana DOTD Complete Streets Policy
Education and Training:
- FHWA University Course on Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation – Provides current information on pedestrian and bicycle planning and design techniques, as well as paractical lessons on how to increase bicycling and walking through land-use practices and engineering design.
- NHI Pedestrian Facility Design Course – This 1.5 day course provides information and application opportunities for those involved in the design of pedestrain facilities.
- NHI Bicycle Facility Design Course – This 1.5 day course provides information and application opportunities for those involved in the design of bicycle facilities.
- Pedestrian Safety, Report to Congress – A comprehensive report on pedestrian safety that builds on the current level of knowledge of pedestrian safety countermeasures by identifying the most effective advance technology and intelligent transportation systems.
- How to Develope a Pedestrian Safety Action Plan – This document will help local and state officials know where to begin to address pedestrian safety issues.
- Pedestrian Safety Compaign – A ready-made toolkit of safety related outreach materials that States and communities can customize and use locally.
- Good Practices Guide for Bicycle Safety Education – A guide to developing your own bicycle education program or selecting the most effective program for your needs.
- Bicycle Safer Journey – A virtual journey designed to increase our awareness of bicycle safety. Its use is intended for the general public, road user, safety advocates, and safety.
- A Resident’s Guide for Creating Walkable Communities – This guide is designed to be used by anyone looking for ways to improve the walkability of their neighborhood, whether they are just beginning to learn about pedestrian safety or are already part of an established community safety group.
- Informational Report on Lighting Design for Midblock Crosswalks – This report provides information on lighting parameters and design criteria that should be considered when installing fixed roadway lighting for midblock crosswalks.
- Pedestrian Road Safety Audit Guidelines and Prompt Lists – This document provides transportation agencies and teams conducting Road Safety Audits with a better understanding of the needs of pedestrians of all abilities.
- Pedestrian Bicycle Crash Analysis Tool – Software product intended to assist state and local pedestrian and bicycle coordinators, planners, and engineers in addressing pedestrian and bicyclist crash problems.
- PEDSAFE – The Pedestrian Safety Guide and Countermeasure Selection System (PEDSAFE) is intended to provide practitioners with the latest information available for improving the safety and mobility of those who walk.
- BIKESAFE – The Bicycle Countermeasure Selection System (BIKESAFE) is intended to provide practitioners with the latest information available for improving the safety and mobility of those who bicycle.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center